When you flick a switch, you believe the lights will go on. You may not know how electricity works or why it works, but you expect it to work! There is more to it than meets the eye, and in this Oak Leaf course you will learn the details. During the first two sessions, we will introduce you to electricity fundamentals. We assume you may not know the difference between an ampere and a volt. But by the end of those sessions, you will understand why that difference is important to understand. We will guide you through all the basics, from how electricity works to ways to generate, transmit, and distribute electricity. You will learn about all the latest electricity technologies, including renewables, and you will also see why the smart grid is transforming how electricity may be stored, distributed, and priced.
The third and fourth sessions consider electricity industry restructuring. You will learn why restructuring has been going on in many jurisdictions over the last 30 years. Alberta’s electricity industry restructured early and is now more of a marketplace than a utility. Other provinces, like Ontario, have restructured differently and according to their own needs. You will learn about various restructuring models and the reasons why restructuring will likely continue for some time. How will this affect society, your organization, and your career? By the end of the course, you will gain insight into these questions and begin to formulate answers.
Reasons why you should attend Electricity Fundamentals & Restructuring:
- To learn how electricity fundamentals & restructuring affect your organization and your role within it.
- This course will fill your knowledge gaps, whether they are wide or narrow.
- You can ask real time questions of your instructor, an electricity veteran who has worked at all levels of the industry.
- You will learn about the latest technical innovations in electricity
- You will understand more about the future technical promise of electricity and the path(s) that restructuring will take.
Important questions the course answers:
- The basics: what is electricity and how does it behave?
- The essentials: how do generation, transmission, and distribution interact to power society?
- The evolution: In this century, many jurisdictions have shifted from coal-fired generation to other forms. What are those forms? How are things working out?
- The economics: how do you make money from electricity in 2020?
- The future: will electricity evolution become revolution?
Key Learning Objectives
- Understand key concepts & formulas used in the electricity industry
- Learn how electricity is generated
- Study electricity transmission & distribution, starting from basics to final consumption
- Know details of the pricing structure & regulations in Canadian provinces
- Analyze the impact of the electricity industry on the environment and the energy sector
- Perceive why restructuring occurs & the market factors influencing price movements
- Become conversant with the regulations that affect the functioning & operation of wholesale, retail, and capacity markets
- Gain working knowledge about the Smart Grid: how it has been designed & implemented within regional markets; major issues in moving to a Smart Grid; and Smart Grid development in other countries
- Understand restructuring developments, important factors in the supply chain, and issues within each regional market
Dates: TBA 2020 or early 2021.
9:00 am – 12:15 pm (Mountain) each day
| ONLINE |
Instructor – Marcel Chorel / Don White
Price: CDN $1395+ GST
Course Level: Beginner/Introductory
- Basic Concepts
- Electricity Industry Overview
- System Operations
- Pricing and Rates
- Regulation and Ownership
- Electricity and the Environment
- Wind Energy
- Industry Restructuring
- Wholesale Market Operation
- Retail Market Operation
- NEW! Capacity Market Operation
- The Smart Grid
- Alberta Wholesale Market
- Alberta Market Governance
- Ontario Power Market
- PJM Market